ABOUT SENATOR FRANCIS "TOL" TOLENTINO
Senator Francis “Tol” N. Tolentino is a seasoned public servant who has dedicated most of his life serving Filipinos with passion and excellence. He is currently the chairman of the Senate Committees on Local Government and on Housing and Urban Development.
PUBLIC SERVICE CAREER
He served as Tagaytay City Mayor for nine years, in which he introduced development and social policies that realized the city’s potential into a phenomenal growth. Under his leadership, Tagaytay City blossomed as one of the country’s top tourist destinations. He also introduced the “Character First” program to encourage the people of Tagaytay to establish a community of character by practicing Filipino traits every month.
As former chairman of Metropolitan Manila Development Authority, Francis Tolentino revived the Pasig River Ferry System and initiated the motorcycle lanes in Metro Manila. He also went beyond the mandate of his position when he brought his disaster rescue team to Bohol after an earthquake hit the province on October 15, 2013. Moreover, he led massive rescue operations in Leyte and Samar after Typhoon Yolanda swept Visayas in November of the same year. His rescue operations team were also present after the 2012 Visayas earthquake and the April 2015 Nepal earthquake.
Seeing his excellence in leadership and governance, President Rodrigo Duterte appointed Francis Tolentino as the Presidential Adviser for Political Affairs in 2017. In 2018, he was assigned by the president as the overall crisis manager during the eruption of Mayon Volcano where a zero-casualty rate was recorded and the onslaught of Typhoon Ompong.
In the Senate, Senator Francis Tolentino pushes for measures that seek to address problems which he first-hand saw in his entire public service stint.
- Doctor of Judicial Science (Cand.) International Environment Law, Tulane University Law School (New Orleans, Louisiana, USA)
- Master of Laws (LLM) University of London (England) Specializing in Public International Law – (with Merit) Second Honors
- Master on National Security Administration (MNSA) National Defense College of the Philippines (Ranked # 6 out of 55 Graduates)
- Graduate Diploma in Public Administration Robert F. Wagner Graduate School of Public Service New York University
- The Military College of South Carolina (Citadel) Charleston, South Carolina, USA
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB) Ateneo de Manila University Law School (1984)
- Bachelor of Arts (Philosophy) Ateneo de Manila University (1980)
OTHER EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS ATTENDED:
- Hague Academy of International Law (Netherlands) 1989 RAND Graduate School, Sta. Monica, California, USA
- General Staff Course (GSC) 1-Year Program – Command and General Staff College, Philippine Army, Fort Bonifacio
- The Bookings Institute, Washington, DC (2004)
- Passed the 1984 Philippine Bar Exams with a General Average of 96.25% (with scores of 94%, 95%, and 100% in Labor Laws, Taxation, and Criminal Law, respectively)
- Passed the 1991 New York State Bar Exams
- Practiced Law with Fornier & Defensor Law Offices, Padilla Law Offices (of the Late Justice Teodoro Padilla) and the Freeman Law Offices (New York City)
- Presently a Partner at OraaRuaro & Tolentino Law Offices (Manila)
- Member of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines
- Member, New York County Lawyers Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Natural Resources Defense Council (New York City)
- Member, Tulane Environmental Law Society (New Orleans, Louisiana, USA)
- Member, American Constitution Society (Louisiana, USA)
- Member, Bipartisan Policy Center (B.P.C.) (Washington, DC, USA)
- Elected as Senator of the Philippines (2019-present)
- Appointed as Presidential Adviser on Political Affairs of H.E. Rodrigo Roa Duterte (2017-2018)
- Appointed Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Chairman (2010-2015)
- President, League of Cities of the Philippines (2001 2004)
- Executive Vice President, Union of Local Authorities of the Philippines (2001-2004)
- Elected Mayor of Tagaytay City for 3 Consecutive Terms (1995-2004)
- Appointed OIC – City Mayor, Tagaytay City (1986-1988) After EDSA I Revolution